There are 2 different types of hair extensions. Human hair Extensions and Synthetic Hair extensions.
Synthetic Hair extensions can’t be dyed or styled with heat. They also do not last very long. If you do Hair extensions regularly, its best to invest in 100% Human hair extensions. There are different grades of Human Hair extensions as well. Virgin hair extensions, Remy hair extensions, and Raw hair extensions.
Virgin Hair extensions is defined as hair that has NOT been manipulated by chemical processing in any way. Chemical processing includes, but is not limited to, coloring, relaxing, and/or perming. Virgin Hair is steamed processed to achieve different textures, such as, body wave, deep wave, loose wave, water wave, kinky curly, Virgin hair can last up to a year with proper care and maintenance.
Remy human hair Extensions consist of hair extensions made from virgin human hair of the highest quality grade that has been chemically treated (dyed).
Raw Hair Extensions is defined as hair that has NOT been altered by steam or chemical processing in any way. With Raw Hair being completely unprocessed and chemical free, Raw Hair is the most natural, pure, and 100% authentic hair on the market today. With proper care they can last 1 – 2 years.
Caring for your Extensions
When caring for Hair extensions, remember they lo longer receive moisture from the scalp. Moisture is very important.They need to be cared for like your real hair.
Depending on your activity level and oil present, try to shampoo the extensions ONCE a week. For curly or hair that gets dry and tangled, ONCE every 2 weeks. Instead you can Conditioner wash your hair.
How to Wash Hair Extensions
Following these simple steps about how to wash hair extensions, will yield great results:
1. Brush or comb your hair to ensure it is free of tangles. It is not recommended to brush the hair while wet; nor to comb the hair too much while wet, as the hair may shed more.
2. Add water to moisten your hair gradually. Wetting your hair extensions all at once can cause them to become matted and tangled, which makes it harder to care for your hair extensions in the long run.
3. Continue brushing or combing your hair as you moisten it to prevent it from tangling.
4. Add shampoo to your hair, washing the extensions from the top down. Gently work the shampoo into the strands of hair as you wash. Wash the extensions gently in a downward stroke, do not rub them.
5. Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean water, working your way from the top down, being careful to remove all of the shampoo as you do.
6. Apply conditioner, leave in for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse.
7. Use a towel to wrap your hair and apply gentle pressure to remove any excess water from your hair.
8. Gently comb your extensions and allow them to air dry if possible.
For curly hair, we recommend co-washing (washing your hair with just conditioner) every 3 days. Spray it with John Freda Frizz Ease Dream Curls and comb it out with a paddle brush. Allowing the hair to air dry in order to prevent frizzing.
ALWAYS USE SULPHATE FREE AND ALCOHOL FREE PRODUCTS ON THE EXTENSIONS.
To Co-wash hair Extensions (washing your hair with just conditioner)
1. Brush or comb your hair to ensure it is free of tangles.
2. In this process, you thoroughly wet the hair, then you use a very moisturizing conditioner (such as Pureology Hydrate conditioner) to saturate.
3. Wrap hair in a shower cap and process for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse with COLD water to seal the moisture in the cuticles.
Moisturize your extensions at least once a day with an oil such as coconut oil, or virgin olive oil. You can use L’Oreal Extraordinary Oil which is a mixture of various Oils.
Always keep your extensions in Silk or Satin for bedtime. You can braid the hair in ponytails and place in a bun. Or for curly hair gather your hair on top of your head in a ponytail (pineapple method). You can then wear a silk or satin scarf or bonnet.
If you do not wish to wear anything on your hair, you will need to invest on a Satin pillowcase.
Cotton pillowcases strip the extensions of moisture overnight, leaving them dry and tangled.
Limit the use of heat on your extensions as much as possible. These will shorten the life of your extensions. If you need to use heat, always apply a Heat protector, even when blow drying. Towel drying and letting the hair Air dry is always the best option.
Once a month you should deep treat the Hair extensions. We recommend using Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise Treatment. Shampoo the hair, rinse, then add the treatment. Wrap in a shower cap to process 15 – 30 minutes. If possible, use a hooded hair dryer to help add heat for the treatment to penetrate the cuticles. Rinse with cold water.
Be good to your Hair extensions and they’ll be good to you. Tangle free and will be able to be used over and over.